Featured image from Pixabay
Running a trucking or a transportation business is both fun and profitable. The opportunity to help people move things from one place to another is only obtainable when having a trucking business. However, making sure you comply with all the requirements set up by the government is essential to run your business. Just like your USDOT number, the Texas dot number (TXDOT) also enables you to run your trucking operations legally.
However, the rules to attain both of these numbers are not the same. You have to avail your TXDOT if you are carrying over 26,000 pounds on your cargo. Here are all the details regarding the TXDOT number.
What Are the Requirements?
All motor carriers that operate at an intrastate level and pass through Texas must have their TXDOT number issued from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.
Here are all the prerequisites for getting your Texas dot number:
- You must have an Intrastate USDOT number.
- A vehicle (or vehicles) that carries over 26,000 pounds of weight.
- Company that transfers hazardous materials that require placarding.
- You have farm vehicles that exceed the 48,000 pounds of the weight limit.
- You have a vehicle that can transport more than 15 people.
- A transport service that facilitates school students.
- You transport household goods.
RELATED ARTICLE: WHERE ARE THE BEST PLACES IN TEXAS TO BUY REAL ESTATE FOR RENTALS?
Fulfilling the minimum insurance requirements is also necessary to get your Texas dot number. The following are the insurance requirements:
- Minimum insurance of $5,000,000 in case of transporting hazardous materials.
- $1,000,000 insurance fee in the case of petroleum materials.
- A minimum insurance of $750,000 for foreign carriers.
- $300,000 insurance for household right movers.
- $500,000 insurance for Commercial School Bus Operators.
- $500,000 insurance for bus operators transporting more than 15 but less than 26 passengers.
- An insurance of $5,000,000 for bus operators transporting more than 26 passengers.
- Private or for-hire vehicles exceeding the limit of 26,000 pounds must have $500,000 insurance.
- Your legal name
- Name of your trucking business
- Complete address
- Your Social Security Number
- Your date of birth
- Information of your credit card
- Information of your vehicle(s)
Are There Any Exemptions?
So, the Lone Star State has declared in the “Texas Transportation Code” that vehicles registered under the Federal Unified Registration Act are not required to obtain a USDOT and Texas dot number.
Here are some vehicles that don’t require a TXDOT number:
- Cotton vehicles
- Tow Trucks
- Daycare vehicles
- Private school vehicles
- Nursing home vehicles
- Hotel vehicles
Applying for TXDOT
As stated earlier, having a USDOT number is compulsory before you apply for the texas dot number. So securing your USDOT number is the first step in the application process. You can apply for your Texas dot number using the online portal. Applying online is both easier and takes less time. However, those who are operating a passenger carrier vehicle cannot apply through the online portal.
So, here’s how to apply for TXDOT if you don’t own a private passenger bus service:
- Make a call at the Texas DMV office.
- Request the officer for UIN and PIN.
- Access the application portal using the UIN and PIN keys.
However, if you are running a passenger service and don’t want to visit the office for the texas dot number, you can apply by contacting the office via email or fax. Before you apply, you will have to fill out the 1899 or 1899T form.
- The 1899 form is for the registration of 1-2 years.
- The 1899T from is for the short-term registration.
Although you can obtain short-term registration for even seven days, the maximum duration of short-term registration is 90 days.
Filling The Forms
Here are the details you need to provide while filling the forms:
- Your basic information
- Information of your vehicle(s)
- Your USDOT number
- Your insurance plan
However, there’s one important thing to fulfill after you submit the forms and the fee. You have to contact your vehicle’s insurance provider and ask them to send the details of your insurance plan to the Motor Carrier Division of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicle to process your application.
It’s easier to get your Texas dot number with a dedicated team of professionals. Contacting texas dot number service providers can help you save time and effort. Please don’t overlook the importance of the texas dot number and receive it as soon as you can. Happy trucking!
RELATED ARTICLE: INSURANCE FOR FMALL BUSINESS: POLICIES PROTECT YOUR ASSETS